Purdue University Fort Wayne is seeking to hire its first Chief
Diversity Officer. The Chief Diversity Officer will serve as a
leader in advancing a campus environment that inclusively
exemplifies the unique, welcoming, and diverse synergies of Purdue
Fort Wayne’s students, faculty, and staff. Reporting to the
Chancellor and serving as a member of the senior leadership team,
the Chief Diversity Officer is responsible for overall diversity,
equity, and inclusion strategy and will play a major role in the
conception, development, and implementation of strategies with
faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners for Purdue
University Fort Wayne. The Chief Diversity Officer will
consult with the Chancellor and senior leaders on the development
of unit-level diversity plans; will facilitate best practices in
fostering an affirming and inclusive campus culture; and will
advance institutional shared responsibility for achieving the
university’s strategic goals related to diversity, advocacy for
affinity groups, equity, belonging, and inclusion.
• Provides vision, leadership, and counsel on matters of
diversity initiatives; strategic planning; training, education, and
research; community relations; policy development; campus climate
issues; communications; and implementation of high-impact efforts
that safeguard diversity, equity, inclusion, and mutual respect for
all students, faculty, and staff.
• Facilitates and shares best practices for enhancing
inclusivity, open exchange, and cultural competency at Purdue
University Fort Wayne.
• Serves as a strategic partner to senior administrators and
campus leaders to support diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts
in their areas, including unit-level diversity plans. The Chief
Diversity Officer is the point person for senior administrators and
campus leadership, raising the visibility of the institution's
diversity efforts; clarifying goals and assessing progress; and
providing expertise on issues of access, equity, diversity, and
• Works collaboratively with the Office of Academic Affairs and
faculty to facilitate curriculum and instructional transformation
that advances diversity and inclusion.
• Works collaboratively with senior administrators and campus
leaders to ensure the equitable and appropriate distribution of
resources in support of goals of diversity, equity, and
• Collaborates with Human Resources and Office of Institutional
Equity to ensure compliance with university policies, federal
affirmative action, and EEO regulations.
• Facilitates and develops professional development and training
opportunities to promote diversity awareness and advocacy for the
• Works closely with standing and ad-hoc system-wide committees,
including student committees, hiring committees, Student
Government, and Fort Wayne Senate leadership to advance diversity
and equity to promote an inclusive climate.
• Engages with communities in Fort Wayne and beyond to foster
engagement, build mutually beneficial partnerships, and create
synergy. Leverages resources, insight, know-how, relationships, and
data to ensure involvement, support, and success for initiatives
• Works collaboratively with internal constituents across the
university to assess, report, and make recommendations on campus
climate and diversity metrics.
• Advocates for an organizational culture that is sensitive to a
wide range of disciplines, interests, and constituencies
represented while maintaining a deep commitment to diversity as
part of the university’s public mission.
• Works collaboratively with colleagues across campus to achieve
representational diversity in recruitment goals in the appropriate
regional and national markets, and to contribute to advancing
diversity in enrollment management efforts and outreach events
• Listens to and gives voice to emergent issues of equity,
diversity, and inclusion within the university and local community,
and nationally as it affects the university. Serves as the
Ombudsperson and/or chief spokesperson on matters of equity,
diversity, and inclusion. Serves as the Purdue University system
liaison on diversity, equity, and inclusion on behalf of Purdue
Strategic Planning & Diversity Outcomes:
• Drives the strategic vision for the Office of Diversity,
Equity, and Inclusion. Leads staff in developing and implementing
strategic priorities. Monitors and reports progress toward
strategic goals and objectives.
• Builds bold, creative diversity initiatives that demonstrate
leadership as an innovator, convener, ambassador, collaborator,
partner, and catalyst in mobilizing leaders from various
institutional and community sectors around diversity goals.
• Develops meaningful and appropriate metrics to measure success
and gauge effectiveness of diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Utilizes assessment information to innovate programs and
• Works closely with colleagues to recruit and retain students,
faculty, and staff from diverse populations by creating pilot
initiatives, building collaborative relationships, helping to adopt
national best practices, collecting and analyzing data, and
developing communications and messaging.
• Partners with the Vice Chancellor for Financial and
Administrative Affairs to review institutional efforts regarding
• Oversees and provides leadership for the Office of Diversity,
Equity, and Inclusion, which includes the Center for Women and
Returning Adults, the Office of Diversity and Multicultural
Affairs, TRIO Student Support Services, TRIO Upward Bound, and the
LGBTQ+ Task Force.
• Oversees and provides coordination for the Chancellor’s
• Supervises staff members and is responsible for making hiring
and promotion decisions/recommendations, pay adjustments, and
•Master's degree or higher.
•Ten years of progressive leadership experience designing,
implementing, and sustaining diversity, equity, and inclusion
initiatives in a complex organization.
•Proven leadership, scholarly achievements, and aptitude for
understanding and addressing affirmative action; equal opportunity
regulations; and current theories of diversity, equity, and
•Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to include
written, oral, listening, and
presentation, and a demonstrated ability to communicate
effectively in a diverse environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a valued
colleague, strong emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills,
including the ability to influence all levels of the institution
with charisma, mentorship and collaborative acumen that command the
respect and involvement of colleagues and community members to
improve climate and outcomes.
• Demonstrated aptitude with infusing diversity, equity, and
inclusion practices, particularly adept at collaborating with
others who have varying perceptions of diversity, equity, and
inclusion with sensitivity to multicultural variances.
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate partnerships with and
between campus and community constituencies and prior leadership in
developing relationships as a leader or member of a team, task
force, or committee, expand networks, and build consensus.
• Demonstrated ability to use discretion and good judgment in
handling confidential information.
• Awareness of national and regional trends in higher education
around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Proven leadership in change management, strategic planning,
fiscal, development and/or grant management, and program
• A strong work ethic, with a results-oriented philosophy and
personal qualities of trustworthiness, openness, accessibility,
kindness, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
• Demonstrated experience in delivery of high-quality diversity,
equity, and inclusion initiatives that achieved targeted goals.
Experience in higher education.
Find out why so many are taking advantage of a career at Purdue
University Fort Wayne! Employees enjoy:
Free tuition through Purdue University Global
Fee remission for a traditional Purdue degree for yourself,
spouse, and children
Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
Paid Time Off
Additional Information: Purdue will not sponsor employment
authorization for this position
A background check will be required for employment in this
FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions Immediately
Purdue University Fort Wayne seeks to develop and nurture its
diversity. Purdue Fort Wayne is committed to maintaining an
inclusive community that recognizes and values the inherent worth
and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, sensitivity,
understanding, and mutual respect. Purdue Fort Wayne is an EEO/AA
employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. All
individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with
disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.