Assistant Building Commissioner
Company: Allen County Government
Location: Fort Wayne
Posted on: May 27, 2023
This position is offered a comprehensive and competitive benefits
package, which includes:
- Medical, dental, vision and more
- Generous paid time off and holidays
- Retirement plan with up to 5% matching This position is
full-time, exempt, classified, at-will and not covered by the due
process portions of The Board of Commissioners of the County of
Allen Employee Handbook.
Hours are 7:30 am - 4:30 pm; 40 hours/week; and as needed
Under the direction of the Building Commissioner, the Assistant
Building Commissioner is responsible for supervising staff,
assisting in the administration of the Building Department, and
performing complex building inspections.
- Responsible for supervising department staff and coordinating
the inspection program.
- Will be the primary permit application reviewer for commercial
- Coordinates complex or difficult building field inspections for
construction, plumbing, mechanical, and/or electrical
- Responsible for assisting other departments with reviewing and
approving applications for buildings.
- Oversees the IT needs of the department. Serves as the point of
contact with IT vendors and employees having IT issues. Instructs
staff and contractors on use of technology.
- Responsible for working with Building Commissioner and Office
Manager in establishing goals and priorities.
- Manages department in the absence of the Building
- Maintains statistical data on inspections and creates written
reports, charts, and graphs
- Writes policy and procedures related to the field staff
- Applies for inspection warrants and testifies in court on
behalf of the department when required.
- Responds to emergencies after hours as needed by first
- Performs all other duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements and
- High School Diploma or GED and at least ten years of experience
working in commercial or residential construction, roofing, siding,
drywall, commercial concrete, a building trade, or similar
- Valid Driver's License to perform field inspections utilizing a
- Strong writing skills related to correspondence and technical
writing for reading by the public
- Valid Allen County Contractor's License, Master's License in a
specific trade, or equivalent from another jurisdiction as a
- Valid Inspector Certification within one year of
- Knowledge of construction trades and state and local building
codes to ensure building requirements are being met in Allen
- Strong customer service skills to address complaints and
concerns from citizens
- Experience with web based inspection applications on smart
phones and tablets.
- Strong management skills with the ability to teach, mentor and
guide subordinates in efficient and professional inspection
- Strong computer skills with the ability to use, train, and
oversee improvements to Microsoft Office and other job related
The Assistant Building Commissioner works both in the office and in
the field with frequent standing, attention to detail, detailed
inspection, and exposure to noise. Some sitting, lifting of up to
twenty pounds, bending, pushing/pulling loads, reaching over head,
kneeling, mental visual effort, typing, and transcription are to be
expected. Exposure to extreme temperatures, dangerous equipment,
chemicals, walking on uneven surfaces, and noxious odors/fumes are
Keywords: Allen County Government, Fort Wayne , Assistant Building Commissioner, Professions , Fort Wayne, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...